Homework 5: Due September 3, 2007
- Read Mystery 10
- You observe a star that has a spectral line with a rest wavelength of 500 nm. In your observations, the line is shifted to 505 nm. Is the star moving towards you or away from you?
- (Extra Credit) How fast is the star in question 1 moving?
- Betelgeuse is red, and Rigel is blue. Why are these stars different colors?
- Write a new mnemonic (saying) for the spectral classification OBAFGKM.
- What is the single most important property of a star with respect to its evolution?