ProtoStars: Planetarium show for Children K-2
Pre-Show Activity 1
Magic School Bus Lost in Space
- Students will list the different planets in the solar system.
- Students will place the planets in their proper place in their diagram.
- Styrofoam balls (different sizes)
- Construction Paper
- T.V. & VCR
- Magic School Bus Lost In Space, by Joanna Cole (book and video)
Read the story "The Magic School Bus Lost In Space" to the children.
- Have the students create the solar system mobile.
- Talk with the students about the solar system as they are making it.
- Have each child get the supplies they need form the front desk.
- Tie one end of the string to the cardboard, which is for the title "Our Solar System", at
the other end of the string hang the balloon (sun).
- Have the students make all different planets with different sized balls, color or paint
the balls the correct color.
- Take 10 pieces of string with five different sizes, tape the string to the different sized
cardboard, there should be a piece of cardboard for each size string, the students can
put the construction paper around the cardboard and string (use blue paper).
- Take each of these pieces and tie them to the planets, be sure that they are putting
the planets in the correct order.
- Tape or glue the cardboard with the planets on them to the base string which contains
the title and the balloon on it.
- By following all of these steps your students should have made a solar system mobile.
- After they have finished their solar system mobile show the video "The Magic School
Bus Lost In Space".
- Ask the students if this is what a solar system looks like?
- Did everyone follow the directions?
- Observe each child's mobile to make sure that all the planets are in the correct order.
- Have the students do a self-evaluation.
AskERIC Lesson Plan: AELP-AST0002
Submitted by: Kelly Anderson
Endorsed by: Don Descy
School or Affiliation: Mankato State University
© 1999 University of Washington
Revised: 9 August, 2000