Spectral Classification of Stars
- Briefly describe these spectra.
- Order of panels from strongest to weakest Balmer lines:
- What is the peak wavelength (max) of the continuum emission in each panel?
- Which panel has the hottest stars?
Which panel has the coolest stars?
Put all the panels in order of hottest to coolest stars.
- Are your lists from step 4 and step 6 the same?
In what order should the letters go if they are in order of temperature?
- Which spectral class corresponds to the 'strong Balmer line' temperature?
- What is the temperature at which the Balmer lines are the strongest?
What happens to the Balmer lines at higher temperature?
What happens to the Balmer lines at lower temperature?