Properties of the Sun Worksheet
Part A: The Rotation Period of the Sun
Part B: Solar Prominences
- In which compass direction do the regions move over one day?
- Make a diagram of the Sun-Earth system, showing the rotation of both the Sun and the Earth, as well as the revolution of the Earth about the Sun. What can you say about all of these motions? Comment on a possible reason for any similarities or differences.
- What is the image scale (in km/pixel)?
- The distance, x, the feature moved between the two images:
- Actual distance moved:
- The period, P, of the Sun in days:
- What is your fractional error?
- Image scale (in km/pixels):
- The minimum height (in pixels):
The minimum height (in km):
- The maximum height (in pixels):
The maximum height (in km):
- Change in height (in km):
- Time between frames:
- Velocity of material (km/hr):
Velocity of material (mi/hr):
Is this fast or slow?