Hubble Deep Field Worksheet
- Assume the Deep Field represents the actual distribution of galaxies in
this portion of the sky. Look at the histogram for the redshifts.
- Can you see possible large scale structure such as clustering? If so, at
what redshifts? (Look for redshifts where there are lots of galaxies.)
- Are there voids in this field? If so, at what redshifts? (Look for
redshifts where there are few or no galaxies.)
- The galaxies have noticeably different colors. Do you see any overall
pattern between the color of the galaxy and its Hubble type? Based on what
you know about the colors of stars, give a brief description of the types of
stars that make up the different types of galaxies.
- Speculate on what astronomers would see if we had even bigger, more
powerful telescopes and detectors and looked even deeper into space. Explain
your answer based upon the history of our observations of the structure of the
Universe and what we have discovered as our instruments and technology have